Monday, April 19, 2010

I Just Need to get this Out. Viewer's Discretion Advised.

I struggle hard core with failure. Ever since my mom left when I was seven I have been terrified of failing and not pleasing people, scared of rejection. I don't want to give anyone a reason to dislike me or the things I do. I have walked on egg shells my entire life, always pleasing and trying to prevent fights or disappointments.

The truth is, I'm not perfect. I mess up all the time.

My fault lies in how I handle that. What actually may be a minor failure, I make mountainous. I recently prayed to the Lord asking Him why "he let me" fail so bad, there must be a reason for it, right? I then realized that Satan was the one tugging at me the entire day, replaying things in my mind, trying to make me feel embarrassed, insecure, and inadequate because I messed up on a project for the LORD. The truth is, God delights in me ALL THE TIME- in my faults, failures, successes, good times, bad times, and so on. Maybe the big screw up did happen for a reason, I don't know. I think through time I will grow thicker skin. I think He may be teaching me that imperfection is ok. As long as I'm continuously seeking Him, that's all that matters. For now, I'm just trying to get my mind off the past, and focus on His plan.

"The LORD directs the steps of the Godly. He delights in every detail of their lives."
-Psalm 37:23 NLT

5 comments:

Heather Tobey said...

that is one of my biggest fears. imperfection is terrifying to me. i feel like a dissapointment and failure when i am imperfect. i think we strive to be perfect because we see that Jesus is. we try so hard to be like him. but that is the one thing that we cannot have until we are with him. when we are in perfect unity with the Father we will be made perfect. and the Lord sees us as perfect and precious just as we are. He loved us before we even did anything for him or realized that he was there. i love you and seriously admire you for how hard you work your tail off and how dedicated you are to what God calls you to do. nik, you are amazing :)

Stephanie Marie said...

i am with you 100% (though you already knew that). i have a hard time, though, accepting and being comforted by the fact that God will love me no matter what. and you've reminded me before that everything that happens in my life for a reason. I hope that, one day, i will be able to see the light in that; as you do. i love you; everything that you've done this past month; and i love you for everything that you've done for me, personally. you may not realize it, but i admire you so incredibly much. i don't think i could ever say thank you enough. i don't know how else to say it... i just love you.

Anonymous said...

I think everyone has a hard time with imperfection. But God still loves you and so do I!!!! No matter how imperfect you are...Everyone still loves you and cares for you and it shouldnt matter what people think because you will always be perfect to God and really thats all that matters.... I love you!!! and I agree

Joni said...

Niks, you know how much I love ya. You are seriously one of my favorite people on the planet these days! You just summed up the message of Anonymous. I really struggle with this to, so much. But I don't even admit the failures, I find ways to rationalize them along with my perfectionist tendancies. I really struggle with the idea that the Lord delights in me all the time, b/c I don't. Working on it...always. Luvs.

Nikki said...

I'm secretly glad you all read this and gave me encouragement. Love you all