Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Jumbled Thoughts.. Shocker

I know you are completely shocked, I am about to blog random thoughts I have had recently... (Can you sense the sarcasm?)

  • Being on display: Now that I am on staff at a church, I am constantly aware of my every move. This is because I am literally on display for everyone to see. Not only do I want to prevent any conflict on the basis of my behavior, but I also want to be (and look like) a good influence for kids who feel like its hard to be a Christian in today's society. I hope to show them that you can still be cool and normal and be a Christian! We are not called to perfection though. What made me think of this a lot lately was....
  • Glee: I love glee. I wouldn't go as far as to call myself a Gleek because I haven't been great at keeping up with it, but I do think its an entertaining show. Last night I posted on Facebook "I will not forget about Glee tonight." Well, I watched the show, and the episode was the most inappropriate one I have seen yet. Personally, watching something like this doesn't really influence me or make me change my lifestyle, but I got to thinking, what if people see that I posted that, and think that its bad that I watch this show? Also, while watching the episode I was thinking to myself, would I/should I be ok with my kids watching this? A lot of them love it, but last night's episode (while still very entertaining with amazing music) was highly inappropriate, and could send our kids a bad message/influence them. In contrast, next week is supposed to be about Jesus? or something like that... probably more about spirituality. So, it has its ups and downs I guess.
  • Lifestyle and leadership: In order to be a spiritual leader, you are not expected to be perfect, but put at a higher standard. I have been thinking a lot about lifestyles vs. slip ups. Its one thing if a leader messes up every now and then (we all do!) but then recognizes it and is clearly striving to do better, but its another when the sin they are living in is a lifestyle-- it happens frequently and it doesn't seem as though they are taking any precautions. This is not ok. Leaders should be held to a higher standard.

That's about it, thanks for tuning in!

0 comments: